CHRISTI, Texas — The Coast Guard is scheduled to establish
a safety zone Thursday in the Corpus Christi Bay and Ship Channel during the
Wings Over South Texas Airshow in Corpus Christi, Texas.
The safety zone is scheduled to begin Thursday at 11:30 a.m. until
4:30 p.m. daily through Sunday, while aircraft crews are performing. The safety
zone is necessary to protect the general public from hazards associated with
aerial flight demonstrations.
No vessel shall transit through the safety zone while it is in
entire Marine Safety Information Bulletin can be read here.
Due to the anticipated increased presence of recreational boating
traffic in Corpus Christi Bay, mariners are urged to use extreme caution when
navigating near the airshow. Law enforcement assets will be on scene and will
board vessels suspected of unsafe operations.
- It is illegal to operate a boat while under the influence of
alcohol or drugs.
- It is safest for passengers to wear a properly fitting Coast
Guard approved life jacket.
- Motorized vessels less than 26-feet in length are required to
use an engine cut-off switch if equipped.
- Passengers should stay onboard the vessel while underway.
Passengers should not attempt to swim near other vessels.
- Failure to adhere to the safety zone may result in
enforcement action, civil penalty, and may delay or cancel airshow
- Install a Marine VHF radio and tune it to VHF Channel. Radio
procedures can be found: https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=mtBoater
Additional tips for safe recreational boating can be found at https://www.uscgboating.org/