50 club.jpg


4 surfers help rescue 2 teenage girls who fell into water during Hurricane Hanna
More Today's News:
ߦ   Galveston County Sheriff Deputy Michael Wiley “Mickey” Stevens, 68
ߦ   Entry Level Police Officer Civil Service Examination
ߦ   Anti-Cop Atlanta Councilman Indicted On Federal Fraud Charges
ߦ   Coast Guard advises mariners to submit application for on-water mass gatherings
ߦ   Dangers in the Car: TxDOT’s New Augmented Reality Game Urges Drivers to Never Drive Distracted
ߦ   Florida Corrections Officer, Wife Die of COVID-19 One Hour Apart
ߦ   Former Prison Guard Sentenced to Prison For Smuggling Contraband
ߦ   Former Uber Executive Sentenced To 18 Months In Jail For Trade Secret Theft From Google
ߦ   Man 39 Drowns In Lake Conroe
ߦ   Texas Entrepreneur Charged with Spending COVID Relief Funds on Improper Expenses Including Lamborghini and Strip Club
ߦ   Woman admits to smuggling cocaine in car battery
ߦ   Burger King worker shot and killed over food wait time, police say
ߦ   Funding Reduced For Most Police Agencies-Violence Increasing
ߦ   SAFE Alliance reports escalating domestic violence is ‘another public health pandemic’
ߦ   Taking the Bite Out of K-9 Related Lawsuits

   Next >>
Search Archives:
FREEPORT, Texas (KTRK) -- Four surfers rescued two teenage girls who were swept off a jetty while taking pictures of the waves during Hurricane Hanna.

A 68-year-old surfer heard the girls' cries for help as they were pulled into the dangerous rip currents that was caused by the category 1 storm making landfall in south Texas.

"All of a sudden, I heard, 'Help, help,'" said Johnny McGee. "And I looked over, and there were two young girls in the water."

He made his way toward them in the rough water and told ABC13 he may have arrived just in time.

"They'd been trying to swim back, but the pull and the currents were too strong," McGee said. "One of them said, 'I can't swim no more. I'm too tired.'"

The girls grabbed McGee's surfboard but couldn't get anywhere, so he improvised.

"I had them hang onto my legs," he said. "One on one side, the other on the other leg, and I started paddling."

After about 20 minutes, they were still nowhere close to shore.
"That's when I saw a guy on the jetty and told him to get help," McGee said.

Another surfer, Thomas Saucedo, was also in the water to help, and two more surfers joined in. Together, they were able to help rescue the girls.

McGee said this was his first water rescue, even though he's been surfing for almost 55 years.

"I was in the right place at the right time," he said. "Nobody knows the water better than surfers."

Post a comment
Email Address: (must be a valid address)
(will not be published or shared)
Comments: (plain text only)
Printer Friendly Format  Printer Friendly Format    Send to a Friend  Send to a Friend    RSS Feed  RSS Feed
© 1999-2020 The Police News. All rights reserved.