– United States Attorney Josh J. Minkler announced today that Jeffrey
Esposito, 54, of Shelbyville, Indiana, was sentenced in federal court,
by U.S. District Chief Judge Jane Magnus-Stinson, to 200 years in
federal prison, after having previously pleaded guilty to sexual
exploitation of a child and possession of child pornography.
“Esposito tortured, sexually abused, and sexually exploited children
for years,” said Minkler. “Judge Magnus-Stinson’s sentence ensures that
he will never come in contact with another child again.”
On April 11, 2018, Jeffrey Esposito was charged by indictment with
twenty counts of sexual exploitation of a child and one count of
possession of child pornography. The first twenty charges relate to the
recording of his repeated sexual abuse of his minor victim. The
defendant’s sexual abuse of the victim started when the victim was
approximately 7-8 years old and continued for years, including bondage
and torture sessions with choking, whipping, and other forms of pain.
The twenty counts represent twenty images or videos of abuse and
exploitation over multiple occasions out of the hundreds of sexual abuse
files that the defendant created using this minor victim. The defendant
was a member of various websites devoted to the sexual exploitation of
children on an anonymous network, and he participated on various
anonymous chatting platforms where he met other offenders, shared his
produced material, and specifically requested and received child
pornography from those users in exchange. The final charge represents
the thousands of other depictions of sexual abuse that Esposito
maintained on his various devices, which included images and videos
depicting bondage and torture, images and videos depicting children as
young as three years old, and images and videos of minor victims who
were abused by other offenders specifically for Esposito’s benefit.
This case was investigated by the Department of Homeland Security Investigations (HSI).
“Let this sentence serve as a reminder that HSI is
committed to standing firmly in the way of those who prey on and exploit
our most vulnerable population – our children,” said Special Agent in
Charge James M. Gibbons. “HSI, in cooperation with our law enforcement
and judicial partners, will work tirelessly to identify and bring to
justice individuals who commit these heinous crimes.”
According to Assistant United States Attorney Steven D. DeBrota and
Department of Justice, Child Exploitation and Obscenity Section, Trial
Attorney Lauren S. Kupersmith, who prosecuted this case for the
government, Esposito will serve lifetime supervised release.
In October 2017, United States Attorney Josh J. Minkler announced a
Strategic Plan designed to shape and strengthen the District’s response
to its most significant public safety challenges. This prosecution
demonstrates the office’s firm commitment to utilize and partner with
law enforcement agencies to prosecute individuals engaged in the sexual
exploitation of children. See United States Attorney’s Office, Southern
District of Indiana Strategic Plan Section 4.1.