Return to Article | Print this Page
The Police News
Fire Department Challenged with Multiple Working Fires Over Past Few Weeks
League City, TX

The Fire Department has been challenged with five working fires over the past four days. While damage has been significant, quick and decisive fire attacks have reduced fire spread at each location after the firefighters arrived. These five fires consisted of a fire at the historic St. Mary’s Church on Main Street, three residential homes and one apartment fire.

It all started Saturday, March 25th, as fire struck the Huntcliff Apartments in the 2500 Block of St. Christopher Ave. The Fire Department sent a “heavy box” with four engines, two ladder trucks, Rehab 1, two ambulances and two chiefs to battle the eight-unit fire. This included engines from Kemah and Webster. First arriving units found heavy fire and smoke on the second floor. Credit to the League City police officers for evacuating the nearby residents. Firefighters responded at around 10:00 p.m. and didn’t start clearing the scene until 2:30 a.m. The fire was brought under control in less than one hour, however extinguishing hot spots and completing overhaul operations was time consuming. One civilian was injured, treated and transported to the hospital by EMS paramedics.

Sunday night another fire engulfed a home in the 100 block of Burgandy Lane. The resident was home and self-evacuated without injury. Three engines, a ladder truck, Rehab 1 and an ambulance with three chiefs responded at 2:38 a.m. The damage was extensive, but quickly controlled in under one hour. Nassau Bay and Dickinson Fire Departments answered the call to assist. Monday morning was difficult on all responding staff after being up most of the night, especially Engine 4 from Bay Area Blvd. Engine 4 responded to a major accident on the freeway and a chemical odor call after the house fire.

Monday night at 4:30 a.m. a passerby noticed a fire at the historic St. Mary’s Church on Main Street and called 911. A thunderstorms had just rolled through right before the fire was noticed. The Fire Department arrived to find fire in the steeple of the church. Firefighters quickly deployed Webster Fire Department’s Tower 14 and League City Engine 44 out of Fire Station 1 took handlines inside up the stairs to stop the fire from extending. Next firefighters brought in tarps to protect the wooden pews and floors. Crews funneled the water runoff out the front door. The fire was stopped and most of the church was saved. The church was built in 1910 and has a State Historic Site designation.

Tuesday night a fire started in the kitchen of a home in the 2100 block of Bennigan St. League City sent an engine, ladder truck, Rehab 1, an ambulance with two chiefs to battle the blaze. Forest Bend, Friendswood and Dickinson’s Fire Departments also responded and provided mutual aid. The fire department got the call at 1:40 a.m. and returned to service about 3:00 a.m.

Friday night a fire engulf the garage of a home in the 5200 block of Coutney Lane. The fire department rolled four engines, a ladder truck, two chiefs and an ambulance to contain the fire. The house fire was called in at 9:44 p.m. and mosts units returned to service just after 11:00 p.m. 

Investigators from the Fire Marshals have been extremely busy working to determine the origin and cause of these fires. No firefighters were injured at any of the fires and quick attacks contained all fires limiting the damage. This has been a very busy time and firefighters have been doing an excellent job fighting the fires, saving property and keeping everyone safe.